Dignity, Clarity, and Connection
Inspired by the vision that psychiatric recovery is possible,
Windhorse has offered holistic, compassionate care for 25 years.
An alternative to residential treatment, Windhorse uses mindfulness-informed clinical teams and therapeutic households to support our clients’ recovery journey. Through this strong web of support, clients experience the same level of dignity and respect as their peers whose lives have not been disrupted by mental health challenges—they are actively engaged in their community, creating a life of meaning and independence.
Windhorse is Unique
Unlike other programs, our clients experience:
- Neighborhood-based living with a therapeutic housemate
- Over 40 hours each week of one-on-one clinical support
- Individually designed teams that respond to a client’s changing needs
- A therapeutic community with an abundance of gatherings and groups
Relationships are Medicine
The term that really encapsulates our approach is People are the Medicine . . . the heart and soul of Windhorse are the relationships that develop.
—Mary Tibbetts, Psychotherapist
Extreme, life-disrupting mind states are often paired with isolation, but recovery is best discovered in relationship. By cultivating genuine and compassionate connection, we invite our clients to relax into who they are authentically — beneath turmoil and distress — reconnecting at their own pace with others and the world around them.
In our Own Words
Our Principles of Recovery
- Significant recovery is a real possibility
- Sanity is always present even within a confused mind state
- Mental health challenges are disruptions in the balance of body-mind-environment
- Recovery requires community and compassionate care
- Compassionate care can be taught and cultivated in every person
The humane principles I’m describing are those everyone knows in their hearts. The bottom line is: What would you want? Would you want any other kind of treatment?
—Edward M. Podvoll, MD, Founder of the Windhorse approach